With an expired US visa, you are termed an illegal person in the country. This means hiding away from authorities and living a minimal life. You do not want that. To be on the right side of the law, you should start preparing for a new visa. If you are in the US and your visa expires, you will need to return to your residential country, and from there, you can begin processing another visa. You cannot apply to renew an expired visa while still in the US.
QUICK ONE: Do you need to renew your F1 visa?
You do not need to apply for another visa if your passport has expired, but your visa is still valid. In this case, all you need to do is get a new passport and travel with both the expired passport with the valid visa and the new passport. But do not try to remove the valid visa from the expired passport and stick onto the new one. Doing so will render the visa invalid.
You apply for a new visa when the visa is expired. Apply for a new passport when the passport is expired.
If you are a student on an F1 visa, you can legally stay in the US with an expired visa if you have an up to date I-20 from your school. This also applies to other categories with exceptions. Please check the requirements for your specific visa category.
You must fulfill all the requirements for the visa you want to renew. How do you know?
- Your expired visa must be in the same class as the visa you are applying for. For example, if you had an F-1 visa, you must apply to renew the F-1 visa. You cannot apply to renew a different type of visa.
- You must not have been denied a visa recently. If you applied for a different visa and the US consulate denied it, you cannot apply for a renewal of your expired visa.
- The visa you wish to renew must be for multiple entries into the US.
- If you had an F-1 visa and want to renew the F-1 visa, you must confirm that you are still eligible to have it. If you do not qualify for an F-1 visa anymore, you will be denied the application.
HOW DO YOU RENEW YOUR VISA?
The process you follow to renew your visa is the same as the one you followed when you were applying for the visa. This is what you are required to do:
- You must make the payments of all the US visa fees specific to your visa. You pay the fees the same way you did when you first applied. Noncompliance will result in a denial of any further processing.
- Submit the Form DS-160, Online Non-immigrant Visa Application. You can fill the DS-160 form online through the Consular Electronic Application Center.
- Send your supporting documents to the US consulate where you are applying. If you qualified for the visa interview waiver, then you can just mail the documents. The documents include:
- Passport valid for 6 months after the intended departure from the US.
- Any previous expired passports with US visas in them.
- Two new photographs.
- Your Form DS-160 confirmation page.
- Receipts to prove you have paid all the visa fees.
- You may also be required to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. You can schedule it at the US Consulate where you are applying.
4. If you do not qualify for the visa interview waiver, then you will have to schedule the visa interview.
After the application is processed and your visa is approved, the consulate will send your passport with the attached visa. This is how you can renew your US visa.