UN Women is a United Nations entity working for the empowerment of women across the globe. It became operational as the entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women in January, 2011. As a UN Reform Agenda, it was established to bring together resources and mandate for greater impacts in the lives of women. UN Women is a member of the United Nations Development Group and it is focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
UN Women is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Consultant – Capacity strengthening of women Agribusiness Associations/Cooperatives engaged in the Shea-butter value-chain in Niger State, Nigeria
- UN Women is enshrined in the vision of equality as contained in the Charter of the United Nations.
Background of the Consultancy
The Nigeria wing of the UN Women intends to commence a two-year pilot project on Promoting Women’s Economic Empowerment through Climate-Resilient Agribusiness in Nigeria. The aim of the project is to close the gender gap prevalent among women in ownership and control of productive agricultural resources including land, and to enhance productivity, access to services and markets for smallholder rural women farmers and entrepreneurs engaged in the rice and shea value chains in Niger and Ebonyi state respectively. At the end of the pilot project, the following results will be achieved:
Agricultural productivity through climate smart agricultural practices by women farmers can be increased. Expanded access to diverse high value markets by women through value chain development can be achieved. Strengthened capacities and trade opportunities by women through ICT platforms is obtainable and improved institutional coordination and knowledge management through research for development.
Agriculture remains one of the most important areas of women’s work in Nigeria. Inadequate access to land, information, money, infrastructure, technologies, agricultural extension services and markets are some of the barriers facing women farmers in Nigeria. Men have more access to resources and agricultural technologies than women. Closing the gender gap in access to resources and climate smart agricultural and agri-business technologies through informed investments that remove these barriers, represents a great opportunity for rural women’s economic empowerment, overall economic development, and societal resilience to climate change in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of the Consultancy:
- UN Women Nigeria is seeking the services of an international consultant to strengthen the capacity of selected women agribusiness associations and cooperatives in Niger State on improved shea butter processing to meet international quality standards, and enhance their market competitiveness and access.
- The specific objectives of the assignment include: (i) to strengthen their marketing skills and practices, and (ii) to facilitate their access to competitive markets including the Fair Trade markets in Europe and America. (iii) to train the targeted associations and/ cooperatives on improved value-added processing of shea butter in to various high quality products, (iv) to facilitate quality certification of their products,
- The consultancy period will last for 40 days. The consultation period is expected to include home-based work (12 days) and on-site activities (28 days).
- Integrity: Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Respect for Diversity: Demonstrates an appreciation of the multi-cultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Excellent understanding of gender equality issues and, more broadly, women’s economic empowerment.
- Minimum HND or university degree in manufacturing, entrepreneurship, agricultural economics, gender or another relevant field.
- Extensive experience in conducting trainings or workshops for women organizations in value additive processing of food and other agricultural commodities.
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills, including experience of facilitation of trainings or workshops and presentation.
- Ability to establish and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client’s perspective; anticipate client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Leads and works with teams effectively, demonstrating emotional intelligence and good judgment.
- Excellent skill in written and spoken English.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- HND, or B.Sc., or Master’s Degree or equivalent in the field of Manufacturing, Business Development, Entrepreneurship, Agricultural Economics, Gender or related fields
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to speak Hausa language is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
29th May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online