UN Women is a United Nations entity working for the empowerment of women across the globe. It became operational as the entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women in January, 2011. As a UN Reform Agenda, it was established to bring together resources and mandate for greater impacts in the lives of women. UN Women is a member of the United Nations Development Group and it is focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
UN Women is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Private Sector Liaison Consultant
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
- The General Assembly of the United Nations established the UN-Women on resolution 64/289 of 2 July 2010 on system-wide coherence, armed with the vision to assist countries toward the goal of achieving gender equality, women’s empowerment and upholding women’s rights.
- UN Women envisages the private sector in Nigeria as integral to realizing the Sustainable Development Goals, and equally, its 5-year Strategic Note (2018-2022). UN Women’s global work with the private sector and foundations provides a blueprint on how to collaborate with the private sector in Nigeria.
- The regulations cover the following areas mentioned below:
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality;
- Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and non-discrimination;
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers;
- Promote education, training and professional development for women;
- Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women;
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy;
- Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaison and partnership management with the private sector
- Carry out regular mapping exercise of the private sector in Nigeria to identify opportunities for engagement and partnership with UN Women
- Provide ongoing advice to UN Women on how to better-engage private sector companies as development partners
- Facilitate the dissemination of knowledge and relevant research on women’s empowerment and gender equality to private sector companies to facilitate partnership-building
- Undertake ongoing assessments of opportunities on CSR programmes of private sector companies to identify opportunities for building synergies with UN Women’s programming priorities
- Elaborate concept notes and proposals to facilitate resource mobilization through programming partnerships with the private sector.
- Oversee the delivery of gender technical support services to private sector companies
- Elaborate and oversee implementation of a strategy to facilitate wide-scale adoption of the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) by private sector companies in Nigeria
- Oversee on request, the provision of targeted, cost technical support services to companies to improve the gender-responsiveness of their internal policies, using the WEPS Gender Analysis Tool
- Facilitate strategic convening with private sector companies to share innovative ideas and strategies for enhancing gender-responsiveness of their internal policies and CSR programming activities, and to adopt affirmative procurement practices
- Updated Mapping of Private Sector companies promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Strategy for expanding Private Sector adoption of the Women’s Empowerment Principles in Nigeria
- Strategy to guide affirmative procurement practices in the Private Sector
- Report on the role of the private sector in promoting the rights of women and girls in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Policy briefs on the role of the private sector in promoting women’s empowerment and gender equality
Planning and Organizing:
- Ability to plan work assignments, establish priorities and to meet strict assignment deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, including ability to write reports, formulate and defend sound recommendations and articulate options concisely conveying maximum necessary information;
- Negotiating skills and ability to work at all levels with others to reach mutually benefiting and lasting understandings.
- Excellent facilitation skills and experience facilitating meeting and conferences with diverse audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills; capacity to recognize and respond appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture.
Management and Leadership:
- Build strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate good listening skills and responsiveness to the opinion of others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Science, Economics, Gender Studies, International Development, Law, Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations, or other related fields.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in working with the private sector in Nigeria
- Experience working in women’s empowerment and gender equality
- Good knowledge of the SDGs and women’s empowerment principles
- Demonstrated ability to work independently; ability to organize work efficiently and deal with multiple tasks
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- The consultant will be required to work full time, reporting to the UN Women office
Application Closing Date
1st June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online